The pilot currently operates across three districts and provides more than 200 vulnerable women with opportunities to grow their own food in the desert-slums. Having identified the optimum teaching and cultivation techniques, WFP is now establishing a structure for scale-up and identifying sales and distribution channels. One key aspect of the project is the focus on creating business opportunities, specifically for vulnerable women who have started creating and running their own communal orchards. The project aims to:
- Teach and promote the growing of vegetables using hydroponics technology;
- Diversify the consumption of vegetables in the diet of the supported families;
- Enable families in food insecure areas to improve their nutrition intake;
- Educate and support women in vulnerable communities start their own business opportunity;
- and establish a train-the-trainer module and supporting tools such as a smartphone app.